Re: 3c509 driver problem

Michael Meskes (meskes@informatik.rwth-aachen.de)
Wed, 13 Mar 1996 11:55:15 +0100 (MET)

Adrian Portelli writes:
> Was just seeing if any one had got the new (v1.07) 3c509 driver to
> work with any of the Linux 1.3.7X kernels yet. My understanding is

No.

> that because of some changes in /linux/arch/i386/kernel/irq.c at @297
> there are some changes to the irq handler (Thanx to Alberto Vignani
> for pointing this out). If you hack the 3c509.c put a couple of
> NULL's here and there and change one of the "static void" statements
> to include 'void *dev_id' you can get the driver to compile. It
> will only warn of one error @271 in the el3_probe function about an
> assignment from incompatable pointer type.

This one is rather serious though. You have to change the function to fit
under the new calling conventions. I did do that and it compiles cleanly
without a warning. If anyone's interested I can send out patches, however,
you better read on before you ask.

> On boot up it comes up with:
> Setting Rx mode to 128499 address
> Setting Rx mode to 128296 address

Never saw that.

> I can then ping the local adapter but nothing else :(

This is exactly the same problem I encountered. I do not have the slightest
idea where this migh come from. There simply is no connection with the new
driver.

Michael

--
Michael Meskes
Lehrstuhl fuer angewandte Mathematik insb. Informatik