Re: Diald doesn't work with 1.3.72

Eric Schenk (schenk@cs.toronto.edu)
Tue, 12 Mar 1996 21:40:38 -0500

Kevin Buettner <kev@primenet.com> writes:
>I rebuilt 1.3.72 and disabled network firewalling, IP forwarding,
>IP firewalling, and IP masquerading. (All of these were enabled in
>the previous version of 1.3.72 that I reported on.)

I've since plugged in the firewall stuff you reported using and
found similar problems. I'm still working on this, but I think
I understand part of what is going on.

>I played around some more with diald-0.12 in 1.3.70. I had first tried
>it back in the days (not that long ago) when it would hang the kernel
>on disconnecting. I had heard that it no longer does this (which is
>true for me). But it still doesn't work properly: diald-0.12 will connect
>properly and I get connectivity, but when I watch what is happening with
>dctrl, after the connection is made it doesn't seem to see any of the
>packets going through and eventually the connection is dropped.

I've been able to reproduce this here now.

>Also, I have not been succesful at getting the "reroute" option to work. I
>expected the default route (as displayed by "netstat -r") to change to the
>ppp0 device instead of going to sl0, but this does not happen. Perhaps I
>misunderstand the intent of the reroute option?

Ah! A clue. You understood what it was suppose to do correctly.
The fact that it is not working is a bug. I've fixed it in
my sources. I'll be releasing this tomorrow.

In the mean time, what is happening is that if you don't specify
your exact remote address to diald in the remote option, then
the rerouting breaks.

There is another bug I need to track down yet. It seems that
if you do not use the "reroute" option, then in 1.3.7[0-3] kernels
the kernel throws away all the traffic that arrives at the interface.
I haven't had time to determine exactly why yet.

These bugs together hose anyone who is using dynamic PPP or SLIP,
and anyone who sets things like "remote 127.0.0.3" in their diald options.
If you must have things working before I can figure out the necessary
fixes for the last bug, make sure that you use the "reroute" option,
and set your "remote" address correctly!

-- eric

Eric Schenk www: http://www.cs.toronto.edu/~schenk
Department of Computer Science email: schenk@cs.toronto.edu
University of Toronto