[SOLVED] Weird bogomips problem

David C. Niemi (niemidc@clark.net)
Mon, 11 Mar 1996 23:56:55 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 12 Mar 1996, Anthony Petersen wrote:
> Try going in to your advanced BIOS setup and changing the settings for
> your cpu's internal cache (L1) - it worked for me...

Changing to WriteThru instead of WriteBack for the L1 cache does it, you
are right. This improved several more realistic benchmarks substantially
as well (though not tenfold like it did for BogoMIPS).

For L2 cache, I have often seen WriteBack perform much better, but for L1
this definitely is not the case for an Intel 486 DX2-66, at least not with
that particular cheap VLB chipset.

Has anyone got an AMD 586dx133? I have a benchmark for you to try...

Thanks to all those who answered.

David.Niemi@mail.li.org---niemidc@clark.net---703-810-5538---Reston, VA USA
A bear won't treat you so! You're satisfied to know
When he chews you up he still respects you. -- Al Stewart