Re: Space, speed etc...

DUPRE Christophe (duprec@jsp.umontreal.ca)
Mon, 11 Mar 1996 17:44:03 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 10 Mar 1996, Vadim E. Kogan wrote:

First of all, let me tell you that your message would much more readable
if you used proper english without those "coz", "ya", "ppl" etc... There
are people on this list for whom english is second, third and even fourth
language...

Anyway, here's for your questions.

> 1. Space:
> As far as ya know src of kenels now are >15Mb - and normal ppl must
> left it to be able to compile other programs (if they can't leave only
> some headers, of coz ;) And some ppl (like me ;) knows what they have &
> wan't b able to modify/recompile kernel - so they (I) need to keep src
> too... But really I need <5Mb - I know that I don't need, for example,
> scsi drivers... So my idea is to make `make smth` to remove files that
> are not needed after `make config` was made... And (maybe) modify some *h
> - like fs.h - to not use not-needed parts of kernel (fs.h uses headers
> from other fs' like xiafs, but I know that I don't need xiafs & will
> newer look at it at all ;)
>
> Maybe I'm not right - correct me please ;)

Yes, once the kernel is compiled you can remove from the tree most of the
files... Of course your must keep the .h, but I think all the .S .c etc
can be removed.
Of course, you should keep an archived copy of the source tree around for
the next compile.

> 2. Speed - `make dep`
>
> a. Tell me please why it's needed?

So that the files are compiled in the proper order : make dep (or make
depend) computes the dependencies between all the files.

> b. IMHO 'gawk -f ....../depend.awk *[hcS]` can be replaced by:
> grep #include *[hcS] > tmpfile
> small_C(!!!)_prog tmpfile > .depend
> or
> grep #include *[hcS] | small_prog > .depend
>
> If not, tell me (Im lamer ;)

I guess it could, but would it be faster ? I don't see your point...

> c. make dep takes ~1-2h on 386sx25/4Mb :-((
> It AT LEAST depends unneeded files - like scsi in 1.

Yes, it does. But then, with that computer I guess you don't compile a
kernel everyday, especially if you want to trim the source tree of
unneeded files.

> d. make dep depends ALL - including linux/include - ANY time it runs :-((
>
> e. IMHO if I install kernel src in /usr/src && I haven't modify it ->
> `make dep` that was made by my friend will b SAME (right?) If yes,
> then maybe in linux-x.x.xx.tar.gz must be all dependencies?

NO! The compressed kernel is already more than 4 Megs in size, you don't
want it to be even bigger.
And when you patch a kernel, you have to rebuild the dependencies
anyway... So except if you prefer to ftp the whole tree (4.5 megs) for
each kernel upgrade, instead of a patch (1 meg max), then having the
dependencies in the distribution tree is useless.

> If all this is just flood - please send me message like "shut up, lamer!" ;)

No, I think I'll stay polite :-)

Christophe Dupre Universite de Montreal
Internet: duprec@jsp.umontreal.ca Qc, Canada
Montreal, Qc, Canada
"Nous ne sommes pas libres de ne pas etre libres, nous sommes obliges de
l'etre" - Fernando Savater

-- Geek Code 2.1 --
GCS d-- H+ s:++ g+ !p au-* a19 w+ v+ C++(+++) UIL++>+++ P+>++ L++
3- E---- N++ K W- M- V-- Y+ t++ 5++ !j R+ G- tv b++

#include <disclaimer.h>