Re: SCSI Kernel Problem - BAD

Simon Shapiro (Shimon@i-connect.net)
Mon, 11 Mar 1996 16:12:03 -0600 (CST)

I apologize. i posted the thread start and lost it!
Ran out of disk space in ~, with linux-kernel overflow. Really!

Hi "Ulrich Windl"; On 11-Mar-96 you wrote:
> > On 8 Mar 96 at 9:50, Leonard N. Zubkoff wrote:
>
> [...]
> > One thing to keep in mind that may be related - I have discovered
> > that with some disk drives, attempts to access beyond the end of the disk
> > will lock the thing up. It is possible that with the new page cache
> > we are inadvertently requesting a sector that is beyond the end, and
> > this is leading to a lockup. One way to test this is to simply look at t
he
> > messages logged to the console and see what sectors we are trying to
> > access when the thing locks up.

On a 2GB disk, sectors 2, 100,000, etc. No discernable pattern.

> > I'm still hoping that someone will describe a scenario that lets me reproduc
> > this problem on my test system.
> [...]
> See my message from today: With an AHA2940 I tried to swap to a
> partition that was smaller than the signature suggested. The kernel
> does not check this in time, therefore you get a very dead machine
> (swapper executing).
>
> Ulrich

Sincerely Yours,
(Sent on 03/11/96, 16:12:05)
Simon Shapiro i-Connect.Net, a Division of iConnect Corp.
Shimon@i-Connect.Net 13455 SW Allen Blvd., Suite 140 Beaverton OR 97008