Re: Linux-1.3.71..

Sidewinder (J.M.Box@dcs.warwick.ac.uk)
Mon, 11 Mar 1996 18:27:54 +0000 (GMT)

> On Sun, 10 Mar 1996, Sidewinder wrote:
> >
> > On another matter, I too have had my console lock up with a blank screen
> > when viewing pictures using svgalib. This has only happened recently and was
> > reported by other people with 5428 cards.
> >

> Was this a a console lockup like the keyboard no longer responding?? I've

Yeah, and its not just svgalib. This morning, it crashed when I tried to
start X (Xfree86 3.1.2D admittedly, but it hasn't happened before). Hitting
reset was the only thing I could do. No kernel debug info cos it had already
switched out of text mode, and nothing in the logs.

Unfortunately it trashed /tmp's root directory, and the kernel fell over
*again* in get_free_pages on bootup. There is a major bug somewhere in that
function. Often I just get 'Couldn't get a free page...' and one of the
agetty's fails to spawn, but sometimes the swapper task will fall over.
I don't have the logs on me atm, but this is kernel 1.3.72. I have 8meg ram
and 16meg swap.

James

--
James M. Box                     Email: jmbox@dcs.warwick.ac.uk