Re: Weird bogomips problem

lilo (lilo@lions.reseq.ungov)
Mon, 11 Mar 1996 09:25:52 -0600 (CST)

On Sun, 10 Mar 1996, David C. Niemi wrote:

> My wife's machine registers only 1/10th as many bogomips as it should
> while booting. It is a 486 DX2-66 VLB system with 256 KB secondary cache
> and 8 MB RAM. What is really strange is that the turbo button really *is*
> on, and other benchmarks look normal on this machine, including dhrystone,
> floating point, and one that measures bandwidth to main memory. Does
> anyone have an idea of what could be wrong that would cause it to have
> 3.08 Bogomips instead of 33?

I'm getting 2.66 instead of thirty-whatever on a 486DX2-80, with a 256KB
secondary cache and 32MB of RAM. The annoying thing is, after I come up, I
can run the BogoMips *program* and get just peachy, rational output:

Contents of /proc/cpuinfo:

BogoMips : 2.66

BogoMips classic program, run now:

Calibrating delay loop.. ok - 30.78 BogoMips

BogoMips portable program, run now:

Calibrating delay loop.. ok - 39.01 BogoMips

Since the purpose of the delay loop is to get timing, which will then
presumably be *used* from time to time, it'd be nice to feel that it was
getting the *right* timing. I've posted on this before, would really like to
hear something back....

lilo <tardis@mail.utexas.edu>