Re: NFS still flakely in 1.3.71

Paul Slootman (paul@waubel.ahwau.ahold.nl)
Mon, 11 Mar 1996 15:01:46 +0000 (WIN)

In article <199603070629.IAA10733@keos.cs.Helsinki.FI> Linus wrote:
>"Joshua M. Thompson": "NFS still flakely in 1.3.71" (Mar 6, 13:33):
>> I can consistantly reproduce this NFS bug, which still exists as of
>> 1.3.71:
[...]
>> Consistantly repeatable. I've been trying this both as root and as my
>> "mere mortal" account in my own directory, and it happens the same way
>> every time.

I can't reproduce Joshua's problem (running 1.3.69 here, using a
SVR4 NFS server), but: (read on)

>Hmm, interesting. I am not able to repeat it, but there may be server
>differences. We have a linux NFS server here (with a rather recent and
>patched NFS deamon: the "standard" linux NFS deamon has some problems).

This consistently fails for me:

$ cat Makefile
doit:
mkdir shadow
cd shadow; ln -s ../*.c .
cd shadow; rm hexdump.c
cp Makefile shadow

$ make
mkdir shadow
cd shadow; ln -s ../*.c .
cd shadow; rm hexdump.c
cp Makefile shadow
cp: shadow/Makefile: Invalid argument
make: *** [doit] Error 1

$ ls -l shadow
total 2
-rw------- 1 paul users 0 Mar 11 15:55 Makefile
lrwxrwxrwx 1 paul users 8 Mar 11 15:55 txt.c -> ../txt.c
lrwxrwxrwx 1 paul users 15 Mar 11 15:55 watchchild.c -> ../watchchild.c

If I remove the "rm" line in the makefile, it works... Apparently something
is confusing the removed file with the new file I want to copy into the
subdirectory.

Again, this is on 1.3.69 (haven't had an opportunity to go to .71 yet (or
is it .72 by now? :-), as I also have to do some Real Work on this system).
The NFS server is an SNI Sinix 5.41 (SVR4) system, and doing the same thing
on other NFS clients (SVR4, Solaris) does not give any problems...

Paul Slootman

--
Murphy Software, Enschede, The Netherlands          There is no such thing
work: paul@ahwau.ahold.nl / paul@murphy.nl               as a coincidence.