Re: SCSI Kernel Problem - BAD

Skunk Schouten (skunky@skunky.atlcom.net)
Mon, 11 Mar 1996 07:05:16 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 11 Mar 1996, Benson L Chow wrote:

> Another "Me Too" post about the SCSI problem --

Ok, here's MY "Me Too" post. (:

I'm running an adaptech 2840 (vlb fast scsi-II controller) On it, I've
got about a 6 or 7 year old micropolis drive. It has several bad sectors
on the drive. (I didn't know this till a few weeks ago, unfortunately)

When I tried to copy a file, and it hit one of the "bad" sectors on the
drive, instead of asking the drive to re-map and trying the copy again, I
got endless loops of errors from the aic7xxx code. For a long time I
thought it was the aic7xxx code, but it apparently wasn't. I put the
drive on a dos box and discovered about 8 bad sectors, all in roughly the
same place on the drive. I ended up partitioning around the bad spot on
the drive, but it would have been nice if the Linux scsi code would have
1) not totally hung the machine trying over and over to attempt a read
from a bad sector, and 2) noticed that it was bad and ordered the drive
to map the sector out.

The drive has a list of original and grown defects the length of my arm,
but hey, it's a 640 meg drive that I can't quite live without right now.
Maybe after I get everything else fixed, I can replace it with a nice new
drive. (:

Skunky

Jeff W. (Skunk) Schouten | Someday, when all the fighting ends we'll
PFC, USMC (Ret.) | all realize just how stupid the things we
skunky@skunky.atlcom.net | fight about are.
skunky@netcom.com | The Skunk on the Information Superhighway
(770)946-5709 (pager) | Don't beep if it's not important.