Re: random errors NFSROOT mount

Leo Spiekman (spiekman@dutette.et.tudelft.nl)
Mon, 11 Mar 1996 14:02:09 +0100 (MET)

I wrote:
>> It seems that in the mountd server log on the HP, some of the times that access
>> was denied, the name of the directory that had to be mounted is logged _with an
>> appended LF character_. But not every time. So possibly some mount-point-name
>> mangling is happening somewhere along the way???

and then Martin Mares answered:
> Well, it would be good to boot Linux from a floppy and try to mount the
>directory manually using the "mount" command in order to test if it's a bug
>in the NFSroot code or in the NFS implementation itself. It's also possible
>it's a bug in HP-UX.

Thanks for your answer, Martin. But I have already solved the problem.
One part of the problem was that I should have exported the directory not only
to the PC by name, but also by IP number. (At bootup the pc obviously doesn't
know its name yet because it hasn't talked to a nameserver. Why the HP cannot
resolve this I don't know.) The part about the LF character
was due to a silly mistake of my own: I had been booting the kernel with
loadlin from a batchfile under dos that I had prepared under unix, so
it ended in a LF char.

Now everything works as expected. Both the NFSroot code and the NFS
implementation, as well as the HP-UX side, work fine.

Best wishes,
Leo

--
Leo Spiekman                       http://dutettk.et.tudelft.nl/~spiekman