need ELF file format. DOS and Linux. 'nuff said :)

tpeters (tpeters@pris.bc.ca)
Mon, 11 Mar 1996 01:37:22 -0700 (MST)

On Sun, 10 Mar 1996, Hasdi R Hashim wrote:

> On Sat, 9 Mar 1996, Robert de Bath wrote:
> > On Thu, 7 Mar 1996, Hasdi R Hashim wrote:
> > > Yeah cool! Maybe somebody might want to create a 'dos-based linux system'.
> > > That a way I can run linuxdoom or abuse from DOS. Probably make it a
> > > standard package in Dos-C. :)
> > >
> > > Hasdi
> > This is not such a silly idea, you may have heard of a little program called
> > GO32.EXE - the most original part of DGJPP, well there's been a item on my
> > 'Wouldn't it be nice if' list for quite a while ...
>
> I kinda got stumbled into djgpp a while back. Problem with using go32 is
> that djgpp v2.0 doesn't use go32 anymore (at least that is what I
> understand from the faq) and two, go32 only works for COFF binary format.
> What we need is 1) a go32 that works on ELF and 2) shared libraries that
> works on DOS.

Hrm.... Anyone have enough information on the ELF file format (AND NOT
IN POSTSCRIPT!!!!! #$%#$ ghostscript _DOESN'T_ work on my system -
invalid printer).

We (there's two at this email address) want to code this if it doesn't
exist... or even if it does. We have a djgpp v2.0 reader and a PE file
reader (DLL Power - available at x2ftp.oulu.fi), and are working on a djgpp
v2.0 reader we can actually distribute (anyone got a good dos extender in
assembly? public domain? supports real-mode memory management? please?
Pmode isn't working well.... [pure assembly or assembly/C preferred])

Methinks running Linux code shareable under DOS/Linux (under quirky
conditions - such as games [doom/Linux _MUCH_ better than doom/DOS) is a
worthy project... Think of it as the next level in retrocomputing past
umsdos... :)

Be especially nice to distribute GPL too :) (A GPL ELF reader in 100%
assembly - is that allowed? :)

To make a too-long email short: need ELF format. _NOT_ postscript. Be
nice to have public domain dos extender with real-mode memory support
coded in C/Assembly.

Linux perfect :) Needs no help. Dos world needs help 'cause of
Microsoft stranglehold.

Later, eh? (and thanks in advance for any assistance!)
- Teunis.