Re: Weird bogomips problem

Jason Brown (linux@brownja.student.rose-hulman.edu)
Mon, 11 Mar 1996 02:28:15 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 10 Mar 1996, David C. Niemi wrote:

> My wife's machine registers only 1/10th as many bogomips as it should
> while booting. It is a 486 DX2-66 VLB system with 256 KB secondary cache
-CLIP-

I had a similar machine recently. It was a generic UMC motherboard with
writeback cache. When I had internal cache set to writeback, I'd get
1/10th the appropriate bogomips. When it was set to writethrough, I'd get
the appropriate bogomips. In my case, writeback was only very slightly
faster as far as other "real" benchmarks go. Using the non-kernel
bogomips program after booting would always return the right amount of
bogomips, though. Try that. You can find it on sunsite.unc.edu in
pub/Linux/system/Status/bogo-1.2.tar.gz.

Jason Brown