Re: 3com 3c5x9 interrupt misses

Adrian Portelli (adrianp@c031.aone.net.au)
Mon, 11 Mar 1996 17:22:24 +0000

> Date: Sun, 10 Mar 1996 00:32:13 -0500 (EST)
> From: "David C. Niemi" <niemidc@clark.net>
> To: submit-linux-dev-kernel@ratatosk.yggdrasil.com
> Subject: Re: 3com 3c5x9 interrupt misses

> On Fri, 8 Mar 1996, mlord wrote:
> > > Since version 1.3.68 there have been multiple error messages ranging from
> > >
> > > "eth0: Missed interrupt, status then 2011 now 2011 Tx 00 Rx 3bb2."
> > > (replace the last hex number with any value)
> > >
> > > to a brutal "Segmentation fault."
> >
> > Ditto here, except no segfault yet.
>
> I too saw this message during some FTPs during my little 3c509 (non-b)
> test using 1.3.72. They happened several times (up to 3 times during 1
> 1MB transfer, gets only I think), slowing the transfer down. But they
> went away after a few minutes and I saw no segfaults.
>

>From the Ethernet-HOWTO

"3c509 / 3c509B

Status -- Supported

Note: Donald has an updated driver for these cards that is not
presently in the default kernel. It fixes harmless irq N for unknown
device messages at boot, has better handling for the 3c509B Plug and
Pray cards, and recovers from certain adapter failure status values."

The updated file is at cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov:/pub/linux/drivers/3c509.c
Try http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/3c509.html for more
info.

I have tried using the updated driver with 1.3.70 but can't get it to
compile as a module - have not tried building it into the kernel but
I would suspect that would fail as well :(

Adrian.