Re: kernel 1.3.67 and terminal

tpeters (tpeters@pris.bc.ca)
Mon, 11 Mar 1996 00:05:50 -0700 (MST)

On Sat, 9 Mar 1996, Alan Shutko wrote:

> >> Add "linux" to to "console" entry in your /etc/terminfo file, like
> >> this:
> >>
> >> console|linux|con80x25|dumb:\ ^^^^^^
>
> t> Sorry for a silly response - but HOW, since terminal required for
> t> all known editors.
>
> Um.... export TERM=console?

Not to kick a dead whale down the beach (I've seen this answer about a
dozen times so far), but this doesn't work.

Para - I haven't checked this since my last hard drive failure (Nov/95),
so I don't know. But last time ended my running Linux on one computers
'cause of a stupid (don't mind me) incompatibility between Buslogic and
Adaptec SCSI controllers, and no Adaptec-capable kernel available.
[DON'T ANSWER THIS COMMENT - IT'S FIXED BY A <PAINFUL!!!> LILO SWITCH]
(I didn't find out about this switch 'till two weeks later of painful
work... after resurrecting my mail feed... Someone put this in the SCSI
faq - PLEASE!)

Mind you, 'export TERM=console' _SHOULD_ work. And I have _NO_ idea why
it doesn't. Haven't traced it... and slackware 3.0 (and later?) supports
'linux' so no worries. But I've never been able to change the default
console once in a session... VT52 from an Atari Mega4ST [2 years ago]
on dialup couldn't get to VT52 and was stuck in VT102...

But thank you everyone for a response :)
- Teunis