Re: Important peripherals..

nelson@crynwr.com
11 Mar 1996 05:36:51 GMT

Alan Cox writes:
> > BTW who should I contact about rewritten network drivers for the 3c507
> > ni5210 and exos205 (my own contribution)?
>
> 3c507: Not sure who has one - maybe post it to the linux-net channel for
> people to test out hard with 8K and 16K cards.
> ni5210: M. Hipp (see the existing ni52.c for an address), he's actively
> working on the ni52 still (as of January anyway)
> exos205: I'm tempted to say the bin, but its net-patches@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk
> and I suppose if we have 3c501 we need the exos

Blargh! With a little care, all three adapters can be driven with the
same source. The only reason you might want to do things differently
is because the ni5210 only has 8K of memory and the 3c507 64K. It's
much faster to lay out whole packet receive buffers if you can afford
the memory, which the ni5210 cannot. But still, that can be a
configurable parameter.

See the packet driver source for 82586.inc and 82586.asm.

-russ <nelson@crynwr.com> http://www.crynwr.com/~nelson
Crynwr Software | Crynwr Software sells packet driver support | PGP ok
11 Grant St. | +1 315 268 1925 voice | If you would seek peace,
Potsdam, NY 13676 | +1 315 268 9201 FAX | first seek freedom