Re: Linux isn't an operating system

Bill Powers (wepprop@nettap.com)
Sun, 10 Mar 1996 10:51:05 -0600 (CST)

On Sat, 9 Mar 1996, G.W. Wettstein wrote:

> Linus could probably care less, I do believe that he would have strong
> reservations about changing the name of the kernel to something like
> Lignux. I thought the name was initialy catchy but after some
> consideration I think that this would be a mistake. In any event
> Linus is probably too busy laying down code and being productive to
> even read any of these.

My original LIGNUX post, made 95% facetiously, was never intended to
suggest that the kernel be renamed. Linus wrote, he named it, qed.

My off hand suggestion was that, because 'Linux based GNU system' was too
awkward for general conversation, Linux based GNU systems be called
LIGNUX, to be (mis)pronounced the same way LINUX is now. This will a) not
confuse the great unwashed masses of Microsoft users who are just
discovering Linux and b) Give credit to those who developed the FREE
software ethos, at least with those in the know.

Besides, it beats GNL.

Bill Powers
wepprop@nettap.com
Linux: Resistance is futile...