Re: Linux isn't an operating system

lilo (lilo@lions.reseq.ungov)
Fri, 8 Mar 1996 23:50:58 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 7 Mar 1996, Richard Stallman wrote:

> I think most of us are well aware of the fact that the core
> user-mode software comes from GNU, even though we describe our systems
> as "Linux".
>
> In this discussion, we've seen people who definitely do know this
> argue nonetheless that the "Linux users" should not be expected to put
> effort into cooperation with the "GNU users".
>
> What that shows is that it isn't just a matter of whether people
> know the historical facts. It's whether people think of themselves
> as part of one larger community, or two smaller ones.

I suspect that, since this comment in no way advances your agenda, you're
likely to ignore it, but let me point out that we are all part of a number
of communities of interest and persuasion. The more inclusive a community,
the less content its culture must necessarily have. The more inclusive a
consensus is, the less it says about its members.

You also neglected those of us who consider ourselves members of three
communities. And at various times, our interests may be aligned, opposed or
irrelevant to those of others groups.

For instance, by starting a discussion about credit and prestige on a
working hackers' mailing list, you've placed yourself in opposition to those
of us who would prefer working on code to arguing about whose ego should be
puffed. There is plenty of credit to go around, and you've gotten quite a
bit of it. The linux-kernel mailing list is not about that.

lilo