Re: Problems with EIDE driver (I think)

lockhart@vpihe1.phys.vt.edu
8 Mar 1996 15:13:27 GMT

Chris Bagwell (cbagwell@rockdal.aud.alcatel.com) wrote:

> I have been using two EIDE drives with Linux for quite a while and
> have noticed a persistant problem. Under heavy load the drive
> assigned to /dev/hda sometimes hangs, that is the hard drive light
> stays on and the system enventually crashs.

> Looking at /var/log/messages reveals persistant hard drive errors of
> the form:
> >
> > Mar 6 09:11:53 hudsonpc kernel: hda: irq timeout: status=0xd0 { Busy }
> > Mar 6 09:11:53 hudsonpc kernel: ide0: reset: success
> >
> > This is always with /dev/hda never /dev/hdb/

I have seen this happen once when I tried to program my /dev/hdb to PIO
mode 4 when it only supported mode 3 (from the BIOS, not using hdparm).
Once I went back to mode 3, everything was fine. Problem is, using
MRBIOS only lets you set both drives to a common PIO mode, not
individually one to PIO-4 and the other to PIO-3.

--
Rob Lockhart
  Virginia Tech