Re: Console changes around 1.6.69 (?)

Ulrich Windl (Ulrich.Windl@rz.uni-regensburg.de)
Fri, 8 Mar 1996 12:44:48 +0100

On 8 Mar 96 at 5:22, H. Peter Anvin wrote:

> Followup to: <4hnaqi$vv@freya.yggdrasil.com>
> By author: adam@adam.yggdrasil.com (Adam J. Richter)
> In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel
> >
> > I see that the behavior of the Linux console driver changed
> > somewhere around 1.3.69 in ways that confuse emacs and the GNU
> > readline library. For example, the console no longer automatically
> > wraps to next line when you try to write past the rightmost on the
> > screen, although this is not the only difference.
> >

> At least on my system (1.3.71) this doesn't happen. emacs works just
> fine. I have also monitored the console code closely, although I
> believe some people had problems the console switching in .69 and .70.

Running Slackware 2.4 with 1.3.68 I've found out that without any
change, less silently quits without printing anything. Setting
TERM=console returns to usual behaviour. I'm not saying that this is
a kernel bug.

Ulrich Windl Klinikum der Universitaet Regensburg
Rechenzentrum DV-med Franz-Josef-Strauss-Allee 11
Tel: +49 941 944-5879 D-93053 Regensburg
FAX: +49 941 944-5882
Just imagine my mail address were <Ulrich.Windl@rz.uni.r.de>...