A compromise on Re: Linux isn't an operating system

Peter Jaeckel (Peter.Jaeckel@jet.uk)
Fri, 8 Mar 1996 10:12:10 +0000 (GMT)

Hey, what about a compromise ?

Richard (RMS) wrote:
>From: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.ai.mit.edu>
>Subject: Re: Linux isn't an operating system
>
> I could get to like that idea.

People, who like to mention in a short name that a lot of GNU effort went
into it, too, may just write LiGNUx, or even Lignux. Everybody will still
understand that they are talking about what others call Linux.

And for the pronounciation: Many people pronounce G-NU with a gobbled G
anyway, more like 'Noo or so. So, who doesn't like pronouncing Li-G-nux
just sticks to Li'nux. And who thinks I'm mad, apart from probably being
right, just sticks to Linux altogether :-).

Besides, I agree that this discussion is not around one of the central
development problems. However, we all know about the importance and the
consequences of marketing strategies. Some people spend a million $ for an
audible logo like ``start me up'' just to make people buy a piece of sad
software that only signifies yet another step backwards in technology.
And succeed in doing so.

Let's not be too earnest about it, please ? Most of you people on this
mailing list and in this discussion are way too cool to be petty.
May I remind you gentlemen, you are writing history !!! Many of your names
will not be forgotten for a very long time !

Just a spoon full of sugar makes the medicine go down...
(supercalifragilisticexpialidocious)

Peter Jaeckel