Re: kernel 1.3.67 and terminal

tpeters (tpeters@pris.bc.ca)
Fri, 8 Mar 1996 18:18:02 -0700 (MST)

On Tue, 5 Mar 1996, Kenneth Albanowski wrote:

> On Thu, 29 Feb 1996, Clay Hopkins wrote:
> >
> > Hiya! I've just installed kernel v. 1.3.67 on my machine, and I now get
> > an error when booting that says my terminal type is unknown. When I do
> > an echo TERM, I get "linux". Since the type is unknown according to the
> > kernel, I can't run anything even as simple as vi! Any suggestions or
> > help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Add "linux" to to "console" entry in your /etc/terminfo file, like this:
>
> console|linux|con80x25|dumb:\
> ^^^^^^

Sorry for a silly response - but HOW, since terminal required for all
known editors. Okay, so it's an off-topic,much bally-hoo'd subject
[Fall/94 I think was when 'linux' console type added].

This is still a REAL pain for me ('xcept when I remember _BEFORE_
upgrading kernel). The newest ver. of Linux I have on CD is 1.something
Slackware (ow).

Thankfully, I haven't lost a Linux partition since the great grand
experience with big drives last fall. Kudo: Don't run >500M drives on
old IDE system. You lose data. Badly.

Different subject: Hard drives and $#%# distributers!
PS. Anyone have a solution to drive-size dilemma? It seems I can't get a
drive smaller than 1G IDE anymore. And EIDE isn't available for my
computer (ISA 486). [there also seems to be some trouble addressing
>500M on the IDE host adapter - which was the REAL cause of my data loss].

I'm currently using an old Adaptec 1542B and SCSI drives, but this is a
_REAL_ problem!