Re: What is an OS (Was: Linux isn't an operating system)

Harvey Fishman (fishman@panix.com)
Fri, 8 Mar 1996 19:21:19 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 7 Mar 1996, Ulrich Windl wrote:

> I think you are unfair here. What then is a filesystem? Only the code
> to mount it? Usually the organization of files is also labelled
> "filesystem" (the method you use to organize your files). It's a bit
> uncommon to me, but "operating system" must be more than a kernel. If
> in doubt, remove command.com from your DOS partition...

The cli (I guess that it is called a shell in Unix, but I learned about
this long before I came anywhere near Unix) is hardly the thing that
defines an O/S. Is Linux bash or csh or zsh? As a matter of fact, I did
remove command.com from my DOS drive MANY years ago - I replaced it with
4dos.exe. Even DOS allows the cli to be changed. It is just another
application program.

As you may have gathered, I am of the school that the O/S IS the kernel.
But then I don't use a computer just to run an operating system; not much
fun or value in that. I regard the O/S as just the hardware manager that
enables me to run all those wonderful utility and application programs.
Such as the GNU suite...

Harvey

Harvey Fishman |
fishman@panix.com | Sum, ergo cogito.