Re: NFS still flakely in 1.3.71

Marcus Roberts (mjr@cs.nott.ac.uk)
Thu, 07 Mar 96 10:52:56 +0000

"Joshua M. Thompson" wrote:

> I can consistantly reproduce this NFS bug, which still exists as of
> 1.3.71:
>
> Go to an NFS mounted directory
> Make a directory
> cd into that directory
> Try to 'ls' (you'll get a message saying that "." is not a directory)
> Try to 'cd ..' (you'll get a message saying taht ".." is not a directory)
> cd back to the orignal NFS mounted directory
> Try to 'ls' (this will work)
> 'rmdir' the directory you made (this will also work)
>
> Consistantly repeatable. I've been trying this both as root and as my
> "mere mortal" account in my own directory, and it happens the same way
> every time.

Is the NFS mounted partition hanging off an SGI platform? I get the same
problems when doing the above on NFS partitions exported by irix 5.3
machines, but not Solaris 2.5 machines.

Solaris 2.5 had similar difficulties dealing with 5.3 NFS exports. The problem
in that case was that Irix fooled the Solaris machine into thinking it was
an NFS 3 server, when it was actually only an NFS 2 server. Explicitly
labelling the partition as coming from an NFS 2 server solved the problem.

I'll see if I can repeat the same on my linux box.

Marcus

-----
E-mail: m.roberts@cs.nott.ac.uk | http://www.crg.cs.nott.ac.uk/~mjr/
Communications Research Group, |
Dept. of Computer Science, | + The Map Is Not The Territory +
University. of Nottingham, UK |