Re: Problems with EIDE driver (I think)

Liam Hudson (l.hudson02@ic.ac.uk)
Thu, 07 Mar 1996 09:50:39 +0000

Axel Kohlmeyer wrote:

> > Hi,
> >
> > I have been using two EIDE drives with Linux for quite a while and have noticed
> > a persistant
> > problem. Under heavy load the drive assigned to /dev/hda sometimes hangs, that
> > is the hard
> > drive light stays on and the system enventually crashs.
> >
> > Looking at /var/log/messages reveals persistant hard drive errors of the form:
> >
> > Mar 6 09:11:53 hudsonpc kernel: hda: irq timeout: status=0xd0 { Busy }
> > Mar 6 09:11:53 hudsonpc kernel: ide0: reset: success
> >
> > This is always with /dev/hda never /dev/hdb/
> >
> > Playing around with the setting using hdparm does not seem to make any differen
> > ce.
> seems like your first harddrive ist dying :-(. i've seen a lot of those
> messages before i replaced my old 105Meg Seagate with a newer (and bigger) one.
>
> make a backup of the filesystems on hda ASAP!
>
> Cheers,
> Axel.
> Axel Kohlmeyer email: axel.kohlmeyer@chemie.uni-ulm.de
> Abteilung fuer Theoretische Chemie Universitaet Ulm D-89069 Ulm/Donau

You could be right.

The only problem with this suggestion is that the HD NEVER hangs under (and I hate to say this)
windows 95 or windows 3.11 or windowsNT (3.51/4.0). I have only ever seen these problems under
Linux.

Here, is another such error I've just got....

Mar 7 09:41:22 hudsonpc kernel: hda: irq timeout: status=0x58 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest }
Mar 7 09:41:22 hudsonpc kernel: ide0: reset: master: error (0xd0?); slave: failed

If it is my hard drive then I have a 5 years warranty on it. But how could a prove that it is the hard drive at
fault ??

Thanks

Liam Hudson

| Liam Hudson             | Imperial College Of Science & Tech | Flat 1, 194 Cromwell Rd.|
| l.hudson02@ic.ac.uk     | South Kensington, London           | Earls Court, London     |
| 0171 594 7685           | SW5 2BZ                            | SW7 0SN                 |