Re: Linux isn't an operating system

nelson@crynwr.com
7 Mar 1996 14:31:45 GMT

Richard Stallman writes:
> Putting the incomplete GNU system
> together with Linux realized my dream of a free operating system.

Right. You've won. Nobody likes a sore winner. Particularly since
we've been waiting for the HURD since *before* Linus started working
on Linux.

> By using this term, we can help encourage people to work together
> instead of dividing themselves artificially into "Linux users" and
> "GNU users". This solves an important practical problem.

What about the *BSD people? Aren't they fragmenting the user base
into *BSD, Linux, and GNU users? Do you flail against them also?
I've NEVER seen anyone use the term "BSD-based GNU system".

-russ <nelson@crynwr.com> http://www.crynwr.com/~nelson
Crynwr Software | Crynwr Software sells packet driver support | PGP ok
11 Grant St. | +1 315 268 1925 voice | If you would seek peace,
Potsdam, NY 13676 | +1 315 268 9201 FAX | first seek freedom