Re: New memory leak in ~1.3.67 ?

Tuukka Tikkanen (tic0@sata.fi)
Thu, 7 Mar 1996 18:57:31 +0000

On Wed, 6 Mar 1996, Jurgen Botz wrote:

> In article <Pine.3.87.9603051825.A5952-0100000@sata.fi> you write:
> >So far my insta-fix for the situation was to add another 32MB of RAM to
> >the machine and start observing memory situation nearly hourly. So far
> >with uptime of 26 hours 20 Mb of RAM is marked "in use" without anything
> >using it. (about total of 30 Mb is in use on "idle" machine. Normal
> >figure should be ~10M...)
>
> 'Normal' is a funny term. Most likely you're not seeing a memory leak
> but just the effects of the page-buffer cache unification that happened
> around 1.3.60. In other words, your system is fine, the memory is used
> by the unified cache.

Hmmmm... I doubt that this unification is supposed to lead to trashing &
crash? Maybe I made myself somewhat unclear - what I meant was that my
system _died_ because of lack of free system memory. There was still
100Mb of free swap space left, so it *must* have come from non-pageable
kernel memory allocations.

Update II: Current status: 20464 Kbytes in use, of which 6900 is "cached".
This figure is excluding buffers, with uptime of 3 days. Since there
hasn't been any "real" change in last 48 hours I suppose upgrading to
1.3.71 fixed this one.

Tuukka Tikkanen tic0@sata.fi tic0@kiss.fi tituti@uta.fi * (C)95 tbc *
[this space for rent, really!]