Linux shareware? (fwd)

Jim_Nance@avanticorp.com
Thu, 7 Mar 96 10:36:08 EST

Forwarded message:
> From: "Louis J. LaBash Jr." <labash@lcjones.aclib.siue.edu>

> "Two articles in the present issue discuss Linux, a new flavor of
> Unix that has been gaining rapidly in popularity. The shareware
> started out as the hobby of Linux Torvalds when he was a graduate
> student at the University of Helsinki(see p. 17)."
>
> It is my understanding that Linux is *not* shareware.

No, Linux is not shareware. However, I have seen what it is misrepresented
so many times that I have given up hope of poeple in the popular press
ever getting it right. I guess in most peoples mind software must fall
into one of the following catagories.

1) Commercial
2) Shareware
3) Public domain

Linux is none of the above, but people insist on stuffing it into one of
them.

Jim