Linux shareware?

nelson@crynwr.com
7 Mar 1996 15:03:02 GMT

Louis J. LaBash, Jr. writes:

> In the Jan/Feb 1996 issue of Computers in Physics's Editorial
> "Linux Makes waves" by Lewis M. Holmes, the following was stated:
>
> "Two articles in the present issue discuss Linux, a new flavor of
> Unix that has been gaining rapidly in popularity. The shareware
> started out as the hobby of Linux Torvalds when he was a graduate
> student at the University of Helsinki(see p. 17)."

Linux is decidedly not shareware, but hey, at least they didn't call
it Public Domain. I've had that problem with my (GPLed) packet driver
collection for years and years. I prefer the term ``Freely Copyable''
for all software that is freely copyable, whether commercial or not.

-russ <nelson@crynwr.com> http://www.crynwr.com/~nelson
Crynwr Software | Crynwr Software sells packet driver support | PGP ok
11 Grant St. | +1 315 268 1925 voice | If you would seek peace,
Potsdam, NY 13676 | +1 315 268 9201 FAX | first seek freedom