Re: sound driver

Bryan J. Phillippe (bryan@aa.net)
Thu, 7 Mar 1996 10:28:44 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 29 Feb 1996, Mike Castle wrote:

> Amazingly enough Hannu Savolainen said:
> > Changing default volumes can be easily done by putting mixer commands to
> > /etc/rc.d/rc.local or by writing a "soundon" script which loads the sound
> > module and sets mixer levels after that.
>
> Rather than having to run an external program after module is
> loaded (after all, that sort of defeats the purpose of kerneld),
> can these values be set via /etc/conf.modules parameters? If
> not, easily made to?

I agree. I've been using kerneld for everything, including the sound
module. I'm stoked because it all works so well! I only rarely use
sound, so to have the memory free, yet a transparent loading of the
module is really great. But before kerneld, sound was built into the
kernel (for me), and I used a setmixer script called from
/etc/rc.d/rc.local to change some mixer settings. With kerneld, my mixer
is correctly initialized, but the changes are immediately (and
transparently) lost when the module is unloaded. So I must either
remember to reset the mixer just prior to using sound, or I must leave it
in. I was thinking about it, and came up with this idea: if the sound
module looked for a file /etc/conf.sound (or /etc/sound.conf.. whatever)
or environment variable SOUNDCONF=/some/file at load time, then the mixer
would be initialized transparently every time. And if setmixer (or
equiv) was rewritten to change the config file and send a signal like HUP
to the sound driver (which would reload config info), it would all work,
wouldn't it?

-B. James Phillippe

--
Bryan J. Phillippe         [bryan@eternity.aa.net]