Problem compiling w/POSIX threads (fwd)

Eric Plante (planteer@jsp.umontreal.ca)
Wed, 6 Mar 1996 11:31:50 -0500 (EST)

I'm resending this, semms that vger ate it (I haven't received a copy o=
f=20
it and I usually do, and I haven't had replies either :-) )

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 1996 18:07:35 -0500
From: Eric Plante <planteer@jsp.umontreal.ca>
To: linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu
Newgroups: comp.os.linux.development, comp.os.linux.development.apps
Subject: Problem compiling w/POSIX threads

Are posix threads part of linux? It does look so because=20
/usr/include/pthread.h does exist on my system (dated june 95 though,=20
that might be old -- where to get newer stuff?), however the file looks=
a=20
bit wierd. It contains essentially this:

#ifdef _MIT_POSIX_THREADS
#include <pthread/mit/pthread.h>
#endif

So I understand that _MIT_POSIX_THREADS must be defined for anything=20
using posix threads to compile. So that's what I did, and here's what=20
comes out of it:

monLinux:~/xrec$ gcc -c xrec_main.c -D_MIT_POSIX_THREADS
In file included from /usr/include/pthread/mit/cond.h:45,
from /usr/include/pthread/mit/pthread.h:56,
from /usr/include/pthread.h:9,
from xrec_main.c:3:
/usr/include/pthread/mit/sys/timers.h:46: redefinition of `struct times=
pec'

What xrec_main does is irrelevent, since this happens on line 3 of the=20
source which is "#include <pthread.h>".I've taken a quick look, and in=20
the file /usr/include/pthread/mit/fd.h there is a line that goes:

struct timespec;

And in the file /usr/include/pthread/mit/sys/timer.h there is a line th=
at=20
goes:

struct timespec {
time_t ts_sec;
long ts_nsec;
};

SO.. Am I doing something stupid?

(Please reply directly to my address, or to linux-kernel)

| =ABDes femmes nues se jetaient dans ses bras avec une joie d=E9mente=BB=

| - Boris Vian |
+-http://www.jsp.umontreal.ca/~planteer/ ---------------------------+