Re: What needs to be fixed to run kernels > 1.3.7x?

Simon Tatham (sgt20@cam.ac.uk)
Wed, 6 Mar 1996 11:24:51 GMT

"Matthew B. Guest" <mbguest@hrunix1.chinalake.navy.mil> wrote:

> I am trying to get a spare box to evaluate the latest and
>greatest kernels. I have noticed a lot of mail about broken utilities and
>programs. So what I would like to know what is broken and would need to
>be recompiled? I am running 1.2.13ELF with gcc2.7.2 and libc5.2.18 on all
>other machines.

procps needs updating - "ps -u" and "top" will suffer FPEs if you
don't upgrade to the latest version. "ncpmount" needs an update
between 1.3.64 and .68 I think.

I have a problem with 1.3.68 myself: gdb can no longer read core
dump files. It complains "Couldn't fetch registers from core file:
File in wrong format" twice on loading the core file. Does anyone
know if a simple gdb upgrade will cure this?

/ o Simon Tatham E-mail to: sgt20@cam.ac.uk
\ I /\/\ O /\/ http://callisto.girton.cam.ac.uk/users/sgt20
/ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Trinity College, Cambridge, CB2 1TQ, England