Re: init und Linux 1.3.69

System Administrator (sysadm@majestic.com.au)
Wed, 6 Mar 1996 11:51:01 +1100 (EST)

Sorry for the double post on this one but this just reminded
me of something...

When I was running my system with the SlackWare 3.0 (ELF)
distribution and late kernels I got funny things when I
pressed ctrl-alt-del...
I would get:
shutdown: already running...
Checking the process list... it wasn't running...
I would log back in and run it manually and get the same thing...
I ended up using 'sync; sync; reboot' or something silly like that.

With this other one... now that I'm running RedHat... it doesn't
seem to matter when I press ctrl-alt-del, while logged in, while not
logged in, while booting... it doesn't seem to have a definite pattern -
sometimes it hangs, sometimes not.

On Tue, 5 Mar 1996, Martin Junius wrote:

> On Mon, 4 Mar 1996, lilo wrote:
>
> > I've been using Ctrl-Alt-Del to reboot my Linux system, with relatively few
> > problems, since about 0.95pl15j (assuming I even remember that sequence of
> > kernel release numbers correctly, it's been a while :). I'm presently
> > running RedHat 2.1. :)
>
> With the latest kernel? And while not logged in?
>
> The problem is that it works fine, while logged in as root or some other
> user, but *not* when only the getty prompt is displayed. With 1.3.64
> everything was OK.
>
> Martin
> --
> |\/| | Martin Junius mailto:Martin.Junius@nmp.nokia.com
> |/\| (|) Nokia Mobile Phones R&D phone://49-234-984-3681

_--_|\ Sam Tilders - Systems Administrator for majestic.com.au.
/ \ sysadm@majestic.com.au
\_.--._/
v Cogito Ergo Sum - I think, therefore I am. (Descartes)