Re: older gcc and pentium

Kai Schulte (sp0005@aixrs1.hrz.uni-essen.de)
Tue, 5 Mar 1996 14:12:17 +0100 (MEZ)

On Mon, 4 Mar 1996, Mike Castle wrote:

> Amazingly enough Kai Schulte said:
> > Really 486? Don't the -m486 alignments bloat the code unnecessarily?
>
> Well, if using more memory results in faster memory accesses, is
> it unnecessary? The alignments result in faster code accesses.
> But if you have limited core, perhaps the compact code is more
> appropriate.

It results in more speed for 486-specific accesses, but not for a 386,
and not necessarily for a 586, either. Can somebody with "real" hardware
knowledge help out on this? I really don't know enough about the
architectures, but i'll take a closer look at the new gcc as soon as I
have the time, promised ;)

Kai