(Fwd) Re: RFC: Resource Management

Ulrich Windl (Ulrich.Windl@rz.uni-regensburg.de)
Tue, 5 Mar 1996 08:26:36 +0100

Forwarded message:
From: Self <RKDVMKS1/UW>
To: "Jeff Coy Jr." <jcoy@jcoy-ppp.cscwc.pima.edu>
Subject: Re: RFC: Resource Management
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 1996 08:26:14 +0100

On 4 Mar 96 at 2:45, Jeff Coy Jr. wrote:

> On 4 Mar 1996, Bernd Eckenfels wrote:
>
> > Andrew Mileski (dmtech@magi.com) wrote:
> > > 4) Is there *ANY* particular thing that would make your
> > > life easier when dealing with hardware resources?
> >
> > Yes, a list of all drivers currently registred/compiled into the kernel,
> > together with a list of configured drivers attached to found hardwa re would
> > be nice.
> >
> i think that is what .../linux/Documentations/devices.t{xt,ex} is for.
> but on this note, how about distributing MAKEDEV with the kernel source?

I suggested that some time ago.

Reasons for it are: 1) The script is not long. 2) the device numbers
depend on the kernel

What I would also like is a script to make the right device names. In
HP-UX the "insf" command creates device file entries with the right
name and permissions/owner/group. Somehow it can manage to install
all missing device entries. Wouldn't that be nice for Linux?

> jeff
Ulrich
Ulrich Windl Klinikum der Universitaet Regensburg
Rechenzentrum DV-med Franz-Josef-Strauss-Allee 11
Tel: +49 941 944-5879 D-93053 Regensburg
FAX: +49 941 944-5882
Just imagine my mail address were <Ulrich.Windl@rz.uni.r.de>...