RE: Sorry to disturb you ... but my make refuse to work.

Hubert Bahr (hab@ece.engr.ucf.edu)
Tue, 5 Mar 1996 01:28:40 -0500

----------
From: Carlos Magno Ferrao da Silva[SMTP:cmagno@edinfor.pt]
Sent: Monday, March 04, 1996 5:31 AM
To: 'Linux kernel development'
Subject: Sorry to disturb you ... but my make refuse to work.

Hear's an answer. Normally in the same directory on your ftp archive y=
ou will also find
a set of release notes with the same name as the package you want to in=
stall. for
GCC etc. they start with the name release.xxxx.y.z The problem your =
are seeing is
caused by libc but the patch that fixes Make is attached at the end of =
the release notes.
You will have to get a copy of the make source, add the patches and rec=
ompile. =20
You can use make -f Makefile with the broken make or find an older a.o=
ut version.
I believe you can even use a shell to build make. I had the same probl=
em but not
because I didn't have the release notes but because I didn't read them =
close enough
Hubert Bahr
I upgrade my system to gcc 2.7.2, libc 5.2.18 and libg++ 2.7.1.3.
I try to found any documentation about how to do the task, but unfortun=
ely i'm not succeed.
So, I just unpack from / the archives that I get from an ftp server.
Now, when I try to compile a new kernel I got the following messages :

make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop.
When I simply do make,

Or when I do make menuconfig

make: *** No rule to make target 'menuconfig=B4. Stop.

The rest of my system remains the same.
What I'm doing wrong and how can I solve the problem ?

Thanks in advance,

Carlos Magno
cmagno@edinfor.pt