Re: RFC: Resource Management

Stephen Lee (sl14@crux1.cit.cornell.edu)
Mon, 4 Mar 1996 02:29:34 -0500

On Mar 4, 12:10am, Drew Eckhardt wrote:

> In message <199603032115.QAA06031@infoweb.magi.com>, dmtech@magi.com writes:
> >I need some opinions about hardware resource management:
> >
> >1) Should hardware resources be specified as 'from & number'
> > or as 'first & last'? (I prefer the latter).
>
> from & number. With first and last, each caller must do calculations
> for all possible port addresses where as with from & number it doesn't. Also,
> the existing request_region function takes from & number; this is consistant.

I can see cases where the caller must do calculations for 'from & number'
and not for 'first & last' (quickly, how many K is there from
C0000-C5FFF?). It all depends on how the range is originally given.

Since we all prefer 'first & last' for the final presentation to the user,
it seems that 'first & last' is the more intuitive of the two, so I would
say it is better for requesting as well.

Stephen