Re: Win95 style graphical boot screen

Harvey Fishman (fishman@panix.com)
Sun, 3 Mar 1996 23:15:47 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 29 Feb 1996, Ulrich Windl wrote:

> On 28 Feb 96 at 15:49, Jonathan H. Pickard wrote:
>
> > > Then WHY doesn't it work on my system? <silly pout mode on> I can't see
> > > it as standard if it _DOESN'T_ work on my system! <silly pout mode off>
> >
> > Okay, then, we'll use 160x100x16! Hey, that even works on CGA! =:^)
>
> CGA only has 4 colors at a time. For Hercules users we may only use 2
> colors. For those with a monochrome card (the real one) we may not
> use any graphics. Therefore: Just use 80x25 text mode (BIOS mode 3).

Errr, if you really want to support MDA and Hercules, then you better use
BIOS mode 7 video only and then limit things to 40 columns. That is the
lingua franca of IBM displays, and will work with MDA, Herc, and CGA (and
of course with everything since.)

> If you must have some graphics, read the xdm manual page. If X does
> not work, read the manual page for ghostscript. If that does not
> work, learn how to do graphics in text mode (redefining fonts). If
> that does not work, work on a real problem!

Harvey

Harvey Fishman |
fishman@panix.com | Sum, ergo cogito.
718-258-7276 |