Re: a.out vs. ELF speed (WAS Re: Will a.out disappear?)

Bernd Eckenfels (ukd1@rzstud1.rz.uni-karlsruhe.de)
3 Mar 1996 18:10:23 GMT

Shawn Rutledge (ecloud@goodnet.com) wrote:
> I can't think of a reason that ELF itself should run faster, but since the
> memory requirements are lower (shared libraries rather than having separate
> copies loaded for separate apps) the system should swap less.

ELF PRograms have less registers available, but the dont need the indirect
jumps into the lib code. It is not sure if ELF will make progrmas slower or
faster. Unfortunately gcc is optimized for architectures with more free CPU
registers. On the Other hand ELF libs can be shared a little bit better (if
i get it right?), and therefore it will swap little bit less, and therefore
improve systemspeed drasticaly on low mem situations.

Greetings
Bernd

--
  (OO)      -- Bernd_Eckenfels@Wittumstrasse13.76646Bruchsal.de --