Re: LILO problems

Werner Almesberger (almesber@lrc.epfl.ch)
Sun, 3 Mar 1996 10:32:42 +0100 (MET)

Phillip <pj22298@appstate.edu> wrote:
> No, If I changed the lilo.conf from the setup's one it wouldn't work...
> Only the default versio would work....

So what was the difference between the two configuration files ?

> The the disk geom would explain it... Mayby if it was in the last sectors
> so when I used a Me-compiled kernel, that was smaller, it wasn't nessacary?
> My cyc are > 1024....

Unless you use LINEAR, /sbin/lilo will detect this.

The problem you're describing sounds suspiciously like a kernel change
(e.g. you built a new kernel) without running /sbin/lilo afterwards.
Such mistakes are difficult to spot, because the system normally doesn't
fail instantly afterwards, because it'll take a while until the blocks
previously used for the old kernel and LILO's map file are re-used and
overwritten.

- Werner

 / Werner Almesberger, DI-LRC,EPFL,CH   werner.almesberger@lrc.di.epfl.ch /
/_IN_R_133__Tel_+41_21_693_6621__Fax_+41_21_693_6610_____________________/