Re: moderate persistence of module configuration??

Kenneth Albanowski (kjahds@kjahds.com)
Fri, 1 Mar 1996 01:35:12 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 28 Feb 1996, Dan Miner wrote:

> Trying loading and unloading the sbpcd driver and your hardware
> is detected on the 5th probe. [I know.. load it and don't unload
> it.. :)] I think this ability to inform drivers may come in handy
> in the future.

I don't use insmod myself, but I assume it can take kernel command-line
line parameters "ether=..." to be fed to the driver.

This points out an interesting idea: a way of getting a loaded driver (and
not just modular ones) to report back their current settings (as autoprobed)
in a format that could be directly reused as an override setting.

For example, I'd love to be able to do something like:

$ cat /proc/dev/ether0/settings
ether=0x15,0x300,eth0

This would make "freezing" the settings of those troublesome autoprobers
(like sbpcd) quite a bit easier.