Re: SCSI Bus rescanner? Is one out there?

Michael Neuffer (neuffer@goofy.zdv.uni-mainz.de)
Thu, 21 Mar 1996 21:56:27 +0100 (MET)

On Thu, 21 Mar 1996, Derrik Pates wrote:

> Has anyone written a utility for Linux to rescan the SCSI bus for new
> devices? I have a CD-ROM that is detached and attached to our test server
> at random times. It is used for many purposes, and when it's not being
> used it's locked up. I sometime have to reboot the Linux box because I'm
> trying out a new kernel, or I ve changed some setting, or something like
> that. I'd like to not have to reboot each time I want to use the CD-ROM
> drive. If such a utility exists, please tell me where I can find it.
> Thank you for your help on this one.

At least for the attaching part there is support for that already in the
current kernels.

Just do a :
echo "scsi scan-single-device a b d e" > /proc/scsi/scsi

where a == hostadapter id
b == SCSI channel on hostadapter
c == ID
d == LUN

I didn't properly finish the other half (removing a device) yet.

Mike

Michael Neuffer i-Connect.Net, a Division of iConnect Corp.
mike@i-Connect.Net 13455 SW Allen Blvd., Suite 140
503.677.2900 Beaverton, OR 97008