Re: IDE Timeouts

Bruce Lytle (root@halcyon.com)
Thu, 14 Mar 1996 21:31:27 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 14 Mar 1996, mlord wrote:

> Jochen F. Toppe wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, 11 Mar 1996, Josh Tiefenbach wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > [snip]
> > >
> > > Mar 2 14:04:17 eddie kernel: hda: irq timeout: status=0x58 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest }
> > > Mar 2 14:04:17 eddie kernel: ide0: reset: success
> > >

> > I can only second that. Actually, my problem is worse. 1.3.66
> > worked just fine, but when I installed .72, and tried to do stuff
> > with bigger files, the system give tons of the above error messages
> > and dies. I have a CMD640 =(, but that's not the problem, because .66 worked
>
> Buzzt! Wrong. The PMCIA patches applied to 1.3.72 broke
> support for the CMD640 and DTC2278 chipsets.
>
> This has been repaired win 1.3.74.
>
> -ml
> the Linux IDE guy
> (who did NOT break anything in 1.3.72)

Bruce, says:
Ok, Linux IDE guy that didn't break anything....
I had/have a WD3400 drive, and didn't seem to have problems with 1.3.5x
series kernels, started getting drive error messages in the 1.3.6x
series, with them apparently ending with 1.3.69. I upgraded to 1.3.72 and
(almost) simultainiously (sp) got a new 1.2 gig Conners disk.
Now, with 1.3.72 THEYR'E BACK! exclusivly 0x51 drive SeekReturnError or
something like that... This happens with both drives, first the error,
then a reset (that returns 0), then the next drive has/gets the same error.
If you have some answers/explinations I'm interested.

Please respond to me personally, as I'm leaving the country in a few
hours, will only be able to retreive e-mail via satcom ($$$) and am
filtering out everything from linux-kernel.

brucel@halcyon.com (I don't care what the headers says right now!)