Re: module info for ksymoops

Jacques Gelinas (jack@solucorp.qc.ca)
Wed, 13 Mar 1996 22:47:11 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 12 Mar 1996, Theodore Ts'o wrote:

> Note that it's possible to make insmod dump the symbol table to /tmp,
> and so if you know that you need to debug a particular module, it is
> possible to interpret the stack trace --- manually.
>
> Perhaps Bjorn (hint, hint) could be pursuaded to think about some scheme
> where insmod dumps the symbol table in some standard location, based on
> the module name, and then update ksymoops to understand how to look at
> those additional symbol tables? :-)

I don't think we need to dump the symbol table all the time. What is
really critical is to know where the module was loaded. A single line
could be send to syslogd by insmod. Later, ksymoops can walk the syslog
and messages file (as it already do) and pick the module info. From
there, a simple "nm" will provide the missing pieces of the symbol table.

Well this is a one line fixed to insmod and a larger fixes to ksymoops.

Jacques Gelinas (jacques@solucorp.qc.ca)
Use Linux without reformating: Use UMSDOS.