Re: booting from extended partitions isn't making any sense

Ulrich Windl (Ulrich.Windl@rz.uni-regensburg.de)
Wed, 13 Mar 1996 09:01:05 +0100

On 12 Mar 96 at 8:18, Marty Leisner wrote:

> > You noted that hda5 is missing here. I also have real troubles with
> > extended partitions (created by OS/2 fdisk) and the fdisk 2.0. It
> > seems the kernel is doing things right, but fdisk is rather messy
> > (I've seen the code). I'd like to update fdisk. Who knows where the
> > latest version can be found?
> >

> There's multiple copies of fdisk floating around...I did some work on
> fdisk at one time and the kernel to read bsd disk slices...what is
> bad is there needs to be a way that fdisk can use the kernel algorithm...

Meanwhile I know that 2.0e does the job (it seems), while 3.04 seems
hard to use interactively.

About interaction with the kernel: The kernel must understand the
partitioning even of non-Linux pertitions. I can imagine a function
returning a "partition struct" similar as you use readdir(). Maybe
such an interface to read and write partition entries would be
useful. The kernel could forbid it anytime (securelevel, root
permission, etc).

> I'm thinking of making bsd disk slice partitions easily identifiable (maybe
> starting at minor number= 20?
>
> Or there needs to be some parititioning in genhd so fdisk can also use
> these routines...

Ulrich