Re: Space, speed etc...

Andreas Kostyrka (andreas@medman.ag.or.at)
Mon, 11 Mar 1996 08:24:14 +0100 (MET)

On Sun, 10 Mar 1996, Simon Tatham wrote:

> >1. Space:
> >... So my idea is to make `make smth` to remove files that
> >are not needed after `make config` was made...
>
> You mean, delete unwanted drivers and unused filesystems, and
> generally clean the place up? That sounds like a damn good plan to
> me. I'm sure 3/4 of the stuff would disappear if I could do that.
>
> What did "smth" stand for btw? :)
>
> Does anyone else dis/agree with this idea? If nobody else has time
> to actually think about *doing* it, I'll give it a go...
Yep. I don't want to answer the heaps of messages ``I made make smth, and
then tried the patch-kernel script, and it failed miserably :('', nor
do I want to get this kind of problems, when I visit someone who has problems
with the kernel, I make config, and it says to me it has been cut, ...
(Murphy dictates, that in this case this guy doesn't have the full
sources any more, and (s)he doesn't usually have a MODEM ...).
One thing nice in Linux is, that it is distributed as a big blob :)
(Compare to the patching-fun for Minix!)

Andreas

--
Andreas Kostyrka
Email: andreas@medman.ag.or.at