Re: Duplicating disks

Bill Powers (wepprop@nettap.com)
Mon, 11 Mar 1996 08:52:18 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 11 Mar 1996, Richard van Hees wrote:

> The first step is to let Linux detect your new disk!!! (see startup message)
> - check all the disk parameters....
> - decide how you want to use your disk, before you are going to use fdisk...
> - create partitions on the disk (fdisk man-pages): required are the root
> partition, but you probably also want to create a home, swap and /usr/local
> partition. And these are only your Linux partitions (what about DOS, OS/2,
> etc.)
> - now you can start mounting these partition. I prefere to mount them one by
> one, but it has the disadvantage that you can not use cp -a / /mnt, because
> this would copy your whole disk to the root partition. The advantage is that
> you can carefully select what to copy to your new root directory. I also
> prefere not to copy the contents of /dev, but just copy MAKEDEV to /mnt/dev
> and use this script to create the devices you really need.
>
> An Example (just as a gide line!):
> The partition table of your new disk
> /dev/hdb1 100Mb (your new root partition)
> /dev/hdb2 16Mb (your new swap partiton)
> /dev/hdb3 150Mb (your new /usr/local partition)
> /dev/hdb5 600Mb (your new home partition)
>
> mount /dev/hdb1 as /mnt
> cp -a /usr /mnt/.
> rm -rf /mnt/usr/local
> cp /sbin /mnt/.
> cp /bin /mnt/.
> cp -a /etc /mnt/.
> cp -a /var /mnt/.
> cd /mnt
> mkdir /proc /dev /usr/local /home /mnt /floppy
> << give them the right permisions >>
> cp /vmlinuz .
> cd dev
> cp /dev/MAKEDEV .
> << use MAKEDEV >>
> cd /
> umount
> mount /dev/hdb3 as /mnt
> umount
> cp /usr/local /mnt/.
> mount /dev/hdb5 as /mnt
> cp /home /mnt
> umount
>
> NOTE THAT I JUST WRITE THIS DOWN SITTING BEHIND MY POWERMAC AT WORK, I CAN
> NOT CHECK ANYTHING, BUT THIS IS MORE OR LESS THE WAY I DID IT.

If you use the slackware boot/root disks, or any other boot disk, you can
mount both partitions and copy them directly using cp -a or the old tar
trick without getting into recursion problems. I personally suggest
mounting the 'from' partition as read-only as insurance against the
wayward keystroke syndrome.

Bill Powers
wepprop@nettap.com
Linux: Resistance is futile...