That silly Linux debate

tpeters (tpeters@pris.bc.ca)
Sun, 10 Mar 1996 22:19:05 -0700 (MST)

On Thu, 7 Mar 1996, Robert L Krawitz wrote:

> Date: Wed, 6 Mar 1996 13:44:57 -0500
> From: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.ai.mit.edu>
>
> We also added to the GNU system some programs like X Windows and parts
> of BSD which were written by other projects. These programs are not
> GNU software, but they are parts of the GNU system (and parts of other
> systems as well). When Linux was written, the GNU system was almost
> complete, but lacking a kernel. Putting the incomplete GNU system
> together with Linux realized my dream of a free operating system.
>
> ...which is why I wish the FSF would stop playing around with the Hurd
> and work more closely with Linus and the rest of the core team.

I'm only going to make a simple comment....(and a few additional ones)

Where's the threading in Linux? It's a 'not gonna happen' for now
debate.

I hardly think such an issue is the _ONLY_ issue, but I think some
missing features on the Linux end play a big bit.

It'll be a while, but the diversity and availability of many OS kernel
options helps development to some extent (although discussions such as
this one tend to foster anger rather than work). Linux has many
variants, but only 'one official way' - which helps a lot.

Oh, and on this name game? Whatever. Who cares. Just as long as my
software works in the morning on my computer systems I'm happy.

... as a final note, I look forward to seeing thread support in
Linux... if even just to give the pro-nt people one less thing to feel
superior about :) .. but judging by importance probably next year... or
six months... Whatever.