Re: Linux-1.3.71..

Dan Merillat (Dan.Merillat@ao.net)
Tue, 5 Mar 1996 19:43:48 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 5 Mar 1996, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> Hi, I'd ask everybody who have seen strange things with virtual consoles to try
> out 1.3.71 - I found a potential reason for the "bleeding" behaviour (where
> text from one console bleeds to another when you do a VC switch), and hopefully
> fixed that in the latest kernel.

Text bleeding? The problem I have been seeing is not text, but just random
data on a VC switch. By random data, I mean that chunks of the screen may
be filled with oddly colored random characters, saying that both the char
byte and the color byte are stepped on. A ^L clears that up fast.

Of course, that is usually an indicator of an upcoming
crash (So far, once I start seeing that, it will oops or panic or
something very soon) so it may just be something tramping on something
elses space. (and, at 32k per vc, it has a lot of space to tramp on. :-)

And once again, the message announcing a new kernel was lost in vger...

Did anyone catch it? I know it never showed up here, on either
-kernel or -alpha, so it got eaten somewhere.

The sick part is, I have seen 1.3.71 bugfixes before I saw the kernel! :-)

(Plus ftp.funet.fi was down and sunsite is, as always, overloaded)

--Dan