Re: Why not make Linux source modular?

Mike reading Linux stuff (linux@shivan.demon.co.uk)
Thu, 29 Feb 1996 19:55:18 +0000 (GMT)

On Wed, 28 Feb 1996, Dan Miner wrote:
[snip]

> linux-<ver>-main.tar.gz
> linux-<ver>-cdroms.tar.gz
> linux-<ver>-scsi.tar.gz
> linux-<ver>-net-generic.tar.gz
> linux-<ver>-net-drivers.tar.gz
> etc.
[snip]
So I'd need to get linux-main, linux-cdroms, linux net-generic, and
linux-net-drivers, cos I've got a CD-ROM, and need the net stuff.

Course, I'd need linux-fs, so I can mount my root fs, linux-ide, so I
can use my HDD, linux-fdd......

Seems to me that I'd end up downloading pretty much the lot - assuming
you used that splitting method. Therefore, it's not worth wasting Linus'
time on this.

Of course, you could use a scheme like this:

linux-<ver>-base
linux-<ver>-scsi-aptec12345
linux-<ver>-scsi-FooScsiInterfaceCard
linux-<ver>-scsi-AnotherMythicalScsiDriver
linux-<ver>-net-base
linux-<ver>-net-driver-slip
linux-<ver>-net-driver-ppp
linux-<ver>-net-driver-3Com

Now, if you really want to waste Linus' time splitting the source up like
that, and figuring out a safe way to make sure that the configuration
script will work no matter which subset of drivers etc you get, feel free
to ask him.

Me, I'd tell you to go forth and multiply ;-)

Mike