Re: using more than 1 ethernet-cards ?

Jeremy A. Gilbert (grath@gryphon.ccs.brandeis.edu)
Thu, 29 Feb 1996 17:42:05 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 1 Jan 1990, Juergen Otte wrote:

> I`m trying to run 2 Ethernet-Cards,
> (1 NE-2000 , correctly noted by Kernel if running alone,
> 1 3COM 3C509, running correctly standalone)
> but if inserted into the computer at the same time,
> only one is found by the kernel.

I have the exact configuration, and in order to make my setup
work properly, I recall having to explicity specify the location of the
3COM card on the kernel command line as is specified by the mini-howto on
multiple ethernet cards. My lilo.config contains:

append = "ether=0,0,eth0 ether=0,0,eth1"

Which basically tells the kernel to autoprobe the NE200 and then
the 3COM card. The NE2000 must autoprobe first because it can upset other
already configured ethernet cards when it probes, or so I understand.

Find the mini-howto on multiple interfaces -- I recall it being
quite helpful.

-= Jeremy Gilbert

Jeremy Gilbert (617) 736-2740 * "Don't waste your time waving and hoping *
grath@gryphon.ccs.brandeis.edu * when a rock or a club will do." *